The current era is advancing every day in terms of hygiene. There is an exponential growth in the awareness towards hygiene and its tools. Both corporate and private spaces are alert and updated towards disinfection.
The market for sanitizers, disinfectants, and disinfecting wipes has seen an exponential boost. Various companies are involved in making disinfecting wipes. Consumers often find themselves in a dilemma when the concern is regarding the purchase of disinfecting wipes.
It is crucial to be aware of the chemical composition of disinfecting wipes that we buy. Various questions arise when we purchase a disinfecting product:
- What are the drawbacks of using them?
- Where can we apply these disinfecting wipes?
- Will these wipes leave any residue?
- Can we use these wipes on electronic items?
The list of such questions is long. This writing will talk about such dilemmas and Do’s and Don’ts of disinfecting wipes.
1. Disinfectant wipes and their chemical composition
Most of the brands present in the market have the label: ‘Disinfectant wipes.’ However, these wipes can only eliminate bacteria. If a product says ‘disinfectant wipes,’ it should work on all types of microbes. The chemicals mentioned in these products are
A report made by EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) contains a list of disinfectants that are approved. It is crucial to ensure that the products we use are approved and safe for every object.
2. What should an ideal disinfectant provide?
Microbes can gather on various surfaces. Good disinfecting wipes must prove to be effective in all types of places. But, the moisture of these wipes might disorientate or disturb the outsides of a few objects. Types of disinfecting wipes that are manufactured are innumerable. A regular disinfecting wipe might not be fit for all surfaces. So, where should we apply these disinfecting wipes? Following pointers talk about the same:
- Electronic gadgets like laptops might get disoriented if we use regular wipes to clean them. There are products in the market that might avoid such happenings.
- Disinfecting wipes should never disturb the surface of the object we are applying them on.
- Regular disinfectant wipes disturb the quality of wood if applied regularly. However, there are products which can avoid this.
- An ideal disinfectant wipe should work on all types of harmful microbes, not just bacteria.
- Ensure that the wipes you buy do not react with your skin while you use them.
- Disinfecting wipes should be multi-purpose, i.e., they should be applied everywhere.
3. Disinfecting Wipes and the limitations they come with.
Big companies that produce disinfectant wipes are involved in tall claims about their effectiveness. Products with the label of disinfectants are falsely-marketed. However, they only work on bacteria. Markets often deceive consumers with strategies like these. It is significant to know that good disinfectant wipes would work on viruses, bacteria, and other harmful microbes. Therefore, we must be careful in a time like this. The world is already dealing with the COVID-19 outbreak; one should be cautious while purchasing disinfectants.
4. Why is it significant to be careful while purchasing disinfecting wipes?
In concerning times like this, buyers should be alert towards false advertisements. Countless brands are involved in the manufacture of disinfectants. However, not all of them are to be trusted. Reading the label of the brand that you buy is crucial. Everyone should be mindful, whether it is a corporate company or an individual purchasing disinfecting wipes. To stay safe against harmful microbes, we must be careful of the products we buy.